Common Filing Errors

Common Filing Errors

old_man_lamentingThe IRS shared the most common errors when filing a tax return.  Be sure to avoid these errors when filing your return.

  1. Incorrect or missing social security numbers – be sure to verify the social security numbers for yourself, your spouse and anyone that you are claiming as a dependent.
  2. Math errors – check and double check your calculations.
  3. Incorrectly claiming credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Premium Tax Credit and special standard deductions (for individuals who are blind and/or over the age of 65)
  4. Not choosing the correct filing status (single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household or qualifying widow or widower with qualifying child.  The IRS has an interactive tax assistant tool that can assist you in determining the appropriate filing status.
  5. Wrong routing number and/or account number for direct deposit of a refund.
  6. Not signing and/or dating the tax return.  Note:  If filing as married filing jointly, both spouses must sign and date the return.


Also, be sure that the name you include on your tax return matches what is on record with the Social Security Administration exactly.  If you changed your name after getting married or divorced, be sure to update the Social Security Administration prior to filing your tax return with your new name.


Colleen Minnich

Comments are closed.