Tax Transcripts

Tax Transcripts

1040Do you need prior year tax information and you cannot seem to find a copy of your tax return?  Don’t worry.  You can request a tax transcript from the IRS.  There are two types of transcripts available:

1) Tax return transcript – this shows most line items on a tax return as originally filed

2) Tax account transcript – this shows adjustments or amendments made by the taxpayer or the IRS to a filed return.



Transcripts may be ordered online, by phone or by mail.  See this IRS link for more details.

If an actual copy of a tax return is needed, this can be ordered by filing Form 4506.  There is a fee associated with this request.

Please note, although you may order transcripts from the IRS, it is important to keep source documents and other records used to prepare your tax return.  See our ‘Record Retention‘ article for guidance on how long one should retain documents.

Colleen Minnich

Comments are closed.